- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen California-blend vegetables
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions
- Place potatoes in a lightly greased 5-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon over potatoes. Top with vegetables. Combine soup and milk; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
- Top with cheese; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Just before serving, sprinkle with french-fried onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Hash Brown Dinner
"my family loves this dish and we try and cut back on the fat and calories by adding more veggies, less cream soup and no velveeta, we used a shredded cheese blend - also didn't add the french fried onions. My kids love it and it's great to have when we have a houseful! Serve it up with a salad and crusty bread on the side!"
"Oh, and I left off the french fried onions. Not necessary at all"
"Not so unhealthy if you make a few changes. 98% fat free and sodium free cream of chicken soup, skim milk instead of whole milk, use pepper only, and sprinkle on fat free cheddar cheese. It was very good."
"This is really unhealthy, but I knew that when I made it. I thought perhaps it would be worth it. This cook time turned everything to mush and it had an odd sweet taste. Yuck!"
"To lower the calorie intake, I did this one up as 8 servings instead of 4 servings. I had my friends come over for dinner and they loved it so much that they asked for the recipe."