Hearty Hamburger Supper
My husband and I are retired and enjoy home cooking. This hearty stovetop meal proves it need not be time-consuming. I gave this recipe to a young neighbor who tells me she uses it often since she's a nurse and is always short of time.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups diced cabbage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups milk
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Additional paprika, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until
- the meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Add cabbage;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, salt and paprika;
- mix well.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the cabbage
- is tender. Serve over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 299 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 1,002 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.