Two generations of my family—so far!—have made this soup a cold-weather specialty.—Mrs. Ivan Hochstetter, Shipshewana, Indiana
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled potato
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- WHITE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato juice, carrot and potato. Stir in seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vegetable mixture; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Hamburger Soup in Country Ground Beef 1993, p22
Reviews for Hearty Hamburger Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review