Hearty Hamburger Soup
"This thick soup, chock-full of veggies and noodles, satisfies my husband's appetite after a busy day on the farm," reports Julie Green of Hull, Iowa. "It's especially handy for us to make because we raise our own beef."
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (14 -1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (6-3/4 ounces) beef pasta dinner mix
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is
- no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a
- boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer until pasta is tender. Discard
- bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 178 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.