Hearty Hamburger Soup
At family get-togethers, our children always request this spirit-warming soup along with a fresh loaf of homemade bread and tall glasses of milk. It has robust flavor, plenty of fresh-tasting vegetables and is easy to make.
-Barbara Brown, Janesville, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup cut fresh or frozen green beans
- In a large saucepan, brown beef; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients;
- bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes and
- carrots are tender. Add beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or
- until the beans are tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 178 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 984 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.