- 1 cup coarsely crushed saltines (about 25 crackers)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground ham
- 1 pound ground pork
- BASTING SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2-1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the crackers, milk, eggs and pepper. Crumble ham and pork over mixture and mix well. Press into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Baste loaf occasionally after first 20 minutes of baking. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Ham Loaf
"Have made it 4 or 5 times, gets better each time! Delicious"
"A good alternative to usual meat loaf - nice hammy taste. Don't neglect the basting sauce as it adds a lot a flavor. The loaf would be rather flat without it."
"A lovely variation on the other meat loaf! I have made this as meat balls also and served with navy bean soup and cornbread!"
"Delicious! I really like the basting sauce."