Hearty Ham Borscht Recipe
I like to keep a big pot of this borscht simmering on the stove during busy times on the farm. That way, folks can dip into the kettle when they have a chance to sit down for a quick meal.
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 cups chopped cooked beets
- 1 can (14 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dill weed
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. Place ham bone and water in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove ham bone; allow to cool.
- 2. Remove meat from bone and cut into bite-size pieces; discard bone. Return meat to kettle. Add ham, beets, pork and beans, soup, peas, carrots, beans, onion and dill. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 124 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 572 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC