- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 cups chopped cooked beets
- 1 can (14 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dill weed
- Sour cream, optional
- Place ham bone and water in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove ham bone; allow to cool.
- Remove meat from bone and cut into bite-size pieces; discard bone. Return meat to kettle. Add ham, beets, pork and beans, soup, peas, carrots, beans, onion and dill. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Ham Borscht in Country Pork 1996, p39
Reviews for Hearty Ham Borscht
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review