- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups (1 pound) cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole potatoes, drained and quartered
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute celery, onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Ham and Cabbage Chowder
"This Chowder was very good. I wasn't sure about the brown sugar, but with the ham, it was delish! I used red potatoes chunked up instead of canned potatoes and had to add about 6 cups of water. I'll definitely make this again."