- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups (1 pound) cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole potatoes, drained and quartered
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute celery, onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Ham and Cabbage Chowder in Country Pork 1996, p35
Reviews for Hearty Ham and Cabbage Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 2, 2008
"This Chowder was very good. I wasn't sure about the brown sugar, but with the ham, it was delish! I used red potatoes chunked up instead of canned potatoes and had to add about 6 cups of water. I'll definitely make this again."