Hearty Ground Beef Salad Recipe
- 1/3 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup V8 or tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Dash salt
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives, drained, optional
- Tortilla chips, optional
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the kidney beans, V8 juice, chili powder, sugar and salt; heat through.
- 2. Divide lettuce between two salad bowls or plates. Top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and olives if desired. Serve with tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups (prepared with reduced-sodium V8 and reduced-fat cheese; calculated without olives or tortilla chips) equals 339 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 609 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 30 g protein.