In Wexford, Pennsylvania, Ruth Carter relies on this hearty salad for a quick dinner on busy workdays. “My husband likes the spicy Southwestern flavor and it’s a favorite of mine, too.” TIP: Try serving this flavorful twist on taco salad rolled up in a flour tortilla topped with guacamole, chopped fresh tomatoes and diced sweet onions.
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup V8 or tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Dash salt
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives, drained, optional
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the kidney beans, V8 juice, chili powder, sugar and salt; heat through.
- Divide lettuce between two salad bowls or plates. Top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and olives if desired. Serve with tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Ground Beef Salad in Cooking for 2 Summer 2006, p37
Reviews for Hearty Ground Beef Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review