Hearty Grilled Cheese Recipe
I enjoy watching gourmet cooking shows on television. As a mother of five, I find those time-consuming dishes don't fit my busy schedule. After seeing a chef create a sandwich and cheese sauce on one program, I came up with this quick version. It's been a hit in my house ever since.
- 12 slices dark rye bread
- 6 slices American cheese
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 slices fully cooked ham
- 6 slices fully cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1. On six slices of bread, layer one slice of American cheese, Swiss cheese, ham and turkey. Top with remaining bread; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. meanwhile, toast sandwiches on a hot griddle for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve with cheese sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 549 calories, 31 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 2,276 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC