Hearty Green Chili Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef and onions in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Combine the beans, tomatoes, chilies, water, bouillon, garlic, sugar, salt if desired and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 259 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Hearty Green Chili Stew
"This was good. Followed recipe as is. The next time i might just add some cilantro. This was even better the next day."
"I made this the other day and it was wonderful. It made the house smell so good too on a chilly fall day. Went exactly by the recipe and it turned out great. We topped it with finely shredded jalapeno/habanero cheese. Very filling and the leftovers were just as good. I know we will have this again . . . soon!"
"used pork instead of beef. added dried cumin and celantro. this is a hit. Yes I will make it again and again. It uses items I constantly have in the house. Which makes it even better."
"I made this for my family that was in town and they were hungry. It hit the spot and I received compliments on it. I wish I had made more because we ran out!"
"Wow, this is very good! My husband loved it. This will become one of our regular meals. I think next time I will double the amount of beans."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.