Hearty Green Chili Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef and onions in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Combine the beans, tomatoes, chilies, water, bouillon, garlic, sugar, salt if desired and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium bouillon and without salt and cheese) equals 259 calories, 363 mg sodium, 70 mg cholesterol, 12 gm carbohydrate, 25 gm protein, 12 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Hearty Green Chili Stew
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.