Hearty Green Chili Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, brown beef and onions in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Combine the beans, tomatoes, chilies, water, bouillon, garlic, sugar, salt if desired and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Hearty Green Chili Stew
Sort By :
This was good. Followed recipe as is. The next time i might just add some cilantro. This was even better the next day.
I made this the other day and it was wonderful. It made the house smell so good too on a chilly fall day. Went exactly by the recipe and it turned out great. We topped it with finely shredded jalapeno/habanero cheese. Very filling and the leftovers were just as good. I know we will have this again . . . soon!
used pork instead of beef. added dried cumin and celantro. this is a hit. Yes I will make it again and again. It uses items I constantly have in the house. Which makes it even better.
I made this for my family that was in town and they were hungry. It hit the spot and I received compliments on it. I wish I had made more because we ran out!
it was supposed to say yum, lol!