"This stew is much heartier than most—and very tasty too," Jacqueline Thompson Graves reports from Lawrenceville, Georgia. "Men especially enjoy the zippy broth and the generous amounts of tender beef. They frequently requests second helpings."
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, brown beef and onions in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Combine the beans, tomatoes, chilies, water, bouillon, garlic, sugar, salt if desired and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Green Chili Stew in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p45
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Hearty Green Chili Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review