Hearty German Potato Salad Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Dash pepper
- 2 medium potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), cooked, peeled, halved and sliced
- 5 cooked hot dogs, sliced
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, saute the onion until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in water, vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Stir in the potatoes, hot dogs and reserved bacon. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 471 calories, 30 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 1,196 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer