"I started with a basic potato soup and added my own touches to come up with this comforting recipe," writes Beth Allard from Belmont, New Hampshire.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes, carrot and garlic in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place 3 cups potato mixture in a large bowl and mash. Set aside mashed potatoes and remaining potato mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until soup is thickened.
- Add the parsley, salt, bouillon, seasoned salt and pepper; mix well. Add mashed potato mixture; cook and stir until heated through. Add reserved potato and sausage mixtures. Heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Garlic Potato Soup in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p17
Reviews for Hearty Garlic Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 2, 2015
"Very tasty! A little time consuming, so I won't make this unless it is for a crowd. I will also add more garlic to it."
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2013
"Great potato soup! I make this every year and my husband loves it."
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2011
"wonderful soup. I add more garlic and more potatoes"