Hearty Garlic Potato Soup Recipe
"I started with a basic potato soup and added my own touches to come up with this comforting recipe," writes Beth Allard from Belmont, New Hampshire.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place potatoes, carrot and garlic in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place 3 cups potato mixture in a large bowl and mash. Set aside mashed potatoes and remaining potato mixture.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until soup is thickened.
- 3. Add the parsley, salt, bouillon, seasoned salt and pepper; mix well. Add mashed potato mixture; cook and stir until heated through. Add reserved potato and sausage mixtures. Heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 297 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 690 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC