Hearty French Toast Recipe
"Since you make it ahead, this dish is wonderful for brunch," reports Page Alexander of Baldwin City, Kansas.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + standing YIELD:12 servings
- 24 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 12 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 12 thin slices cooked turkey
- 1 to 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 thin slices provolone cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- APPLE CRANBERRY SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1. Place half of the bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top each with a slice of ham, turkey, two to three apple slices and a piece of cheese (cut or fold meat and cheese to fit). Top with remaining bread.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk and nutmeg; pour over bread. Cover and chill 6 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the first five sauce ingredients; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in apple. Serve warm over French toast. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 562 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 1,413 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC