"Since you make it ahead, this dish is wonderful for brunch," reports Page Alexander of Baldwin City, Kansas.
- 24 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 12 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 12 thin slices cooked turkey
- 1 to 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 thin slices provolone cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- APPLE CRANBERRY SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- Place half of the bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top each with a slice of ham, turkey, two to three apple slices and a piece of cheese (cut or fold meat and cheese to fit). Top with remaining bread.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk and nutmeg; pour over bread. Cover and chill 6 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the first five sauce ingredients; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in apple. Serve warm over French toast. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Hearty French Toast in Taste of Home February/March 1998, p18
Reviews for Hearty French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review