Hearty French Dip Sandwiches
This is a very favorite meal of my husband, who is nicknamed "The Beef Man," because we sell USDA Beef in our retail store. Served with a green salad, this makes a wonderful evening meal. It would also work great for sandwiches at a football game party.—Dorothy Connelley, Belle Fourche, South Dakota
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 boneless beef rump roast (3 pounds)
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed French onion soup
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place over
- onion. Pour soup over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or
- until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a cutting board. Let stand for 10 minutes. Thinly
- slice meat across the grain and return to the slow cooker. Heat
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Combine the butter,
- Parmesan cheese and garlic salt; spread over bread.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Layer
- bread bottom with mozzarella cheese, beef and onion. Replace bread
- top; cut into eight portions. Serve with cooking juices.
- Yield: 8 servings.