- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 boneless beef rump roast (3 pounds)
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed French onion soup
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place over onion. Pour soup over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a cutting board. Let stand for 10 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain and return to the slow cooker. Heat through.
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Combine the butter, Parmesan cheese and garlic salt; spread over bread.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Layer bread bottom with mozzarella cheese, beef and onion. Replace bread top; cut into eight portions. Serve with cooking juices. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Hearty French Dip Sandwiches
"My husband is always asking me to cook this. It's perfect for the busy families that simply don't have enough hours in the day."
"Love this recipe! The sandwiches are VERY filling =)"
"The most delecious french dip sandwich I have ever eaten. My husband loved it, too. All night he told me what a great dinner I made!"
"This recipe was a huge hit, both with my husband and at a Super Bowl party.I added a bay leaf, and a tsp crushed rosemary & thyme, as well as some garlic cloves and peppercorns. The Parmesan/butter spread on the bread really added something. I will be making this again, and again, and again!!"