Hearty Fish Soup Recipe
Says Debbie Groff from San Antonio, Texas, “If a recipe requires lots of preparation, I usually don’t make it. This chunky soup is convenient because it calls for frozen vegetables and canned tomatoes with herbs already added.”
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 halibut fillet (6 ounces), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute shallots and garlic until tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, mixed vegetables, hash browns, seafood seasoning, sugar, allspice, cayenne and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add halibut; simmer 2-3 minutes longer or until fish turns opaque. Just before serving, discard bay leaves. Yield: 4 cups.
1-1/3 cups (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 183 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 1,246 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC