Says Debbie Groff from San Antonio, Texas, “If a recipe requires lots of preparation, I usually don’t make it. This chunky soup is convenient because it calls for frozen vegetables and canned tomatoes with herbs already added.”
Recommended: 50 Easy Weeknight Dinners
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 halibut fillet (6 ounces), cut into bite-size pieces
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute shallots and garlic until tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, mixed vegetables, hash browns, seafood seasoning, sugar, allspice, cayenne and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add halibut; simmer 2-3 minutes longer or until fish turns opaque. Just before serving, discard bay leaves. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Hearty Fish Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p10
Reviews for Hearty Fish Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review