Hearty Fajitas Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless beef top round steak, cut into strips
- 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 14 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1. In a large skillet, stir-fry steak and chicken in oil. Add the shrimp, peppers, onions, tomatoes, chili powder and salt; cook until meat juices run clear and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook refried beans and cheese until cheese is melted. Spoon over tortillas; top with meat mixture. Yield: 14 fajitas.
One fajita (prepared with 2 tablespoons oil, fat-free refried beans and part-skim mozzarella cheese) equals 409 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 788 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Hearty Fajitas
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.