"When I need to get dinner on the table fast for my husband and three children, I fix these filling fajitas," relates Elaine Keith of Mineral Wells, West Virginia. "With beef, chicken and shrimp, they satisfy everyone's tastes. They're wonderful with Spanish rice," she adds.
- 1/2 pound boneless beef top round steak, cut into strips
- 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 14 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- In a large skillet, stir-fry steak and chicken in oil. Add the shrimp, peppers, onions, tomatoes, chili powder and salt; cook until meat juices run clear and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook refried beans and cheese until cheese is melted. Spoon over tortillas; top with meat mixture. Yield: 14 fajitas.
Originally published as Hearty Fajitas in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p50
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Hearty Fajitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2016
"This is wonderful. My kids loved it too. More refried beans is helpful."
Reviewed May. 13, 2010
"So easy and so delicious!"