Hearty Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar (25 ounces) Ragú® Old World Style® Marinara
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Dip eggplant slices in flour and then in eggs; coat with crumb mixture.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook eggplant in oil in batches until golden brown on both sides; drain. Arrange in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with marinara sauce and cheese.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 306 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 595 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.