Sauteing in a reduced amount of oil helps give this classic eggplant dish a healthy twist. Add a green salad and Italian bread. Meat-free never tasted better! —Kendell Christensen, Palatine, Illinois
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar (25 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Dip eggplant slices in flour and then in eggs; coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in oil in batches until golden brown on both sides; drain. Arrange in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with marinara sauce and cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Eggplant Parmesan in Country Woman February/March 2009, p25
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Eggplant Parmesan
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review