Hearty Egg Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup cheese, spinach and mushrooms. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs. Add cream and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 353 calories, 31g fat (16g saturated fat), 297mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Egg Casserole
"Got great reviews from my mom's group that I attend. I left out mushrooms and doubled spinach. Takes a bit longer to bake then expected (45 minutes easy in my oven. More if other dishes are also baking at the same time)."
"This is a great recipe for potluck brunch at church! Be sure to add the time for baking, as it has been omitted from the recipe. 35-45 minutes @350 or until knife comes out clean."
"I loved having this recipe as a guide line. I needed to make something with eggs and ham and I couldn't find a recipe, this recipe was great. I used half sausage and half ham. I didn't have any spinach so I used brocoli instead I didn't have the heavy whipping cr. so I used whole milk and put some crm chz to make it more creamy. It turned out very well. I can't wait to make it with all the real ingredients. Thanks for the recipe!"
"Very easy to make and everyone loved it!"
"Can this be frozen?"
"ONE OF THE BEST DISHES I HAVE EVER MADE!!!! ALSO, IT REALLY DOES LOOK LIKE THE IMAGE WHEN UR DONE. I MAKE THIS FOR OUR WOMENS GOLF TOURNAMENTS EVERY YEAR AND EACH YEAR I AM ASKED IF I AM GOING TO MAKE THAT WONDERFUL SPINACH DISH AGAIN.... LUV IT!!!!"