Carolyn Zimmerman of Fairbury, Illinois lets the earthy mushroom flavor shine in this rich and hearty soup. It’ll have you arguing over who gets the last serving!
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- In a small bowl, dissolve bouillon in water; set aside. In a small saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk and reserved broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cream cheese until melted and soup is heated through. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Cream of Mushroom Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p25
Reviews for Hearty Cream of Mushroom Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 5, 2010
Reviewed Nov. 19, 2009
"Really good and so easy. I used less butter, more onions and only 4 oz cream cheese because that's what I had."