Hearty Corn Chowder
"EVERYONE in my wife's family is a corn lover, so her mom came up with this wonderful recipe to satisfy their appetites. With the bacon, sausage and potatoes, it's hearty enough to be a one-pot meal, but it's also really good with the chicken."
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 6 ounces smoked sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons
- drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute celery and onion in drippings until onion is lightly browned.
- Add potatoes and water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10
- minutes. Stir in corn, milk, sausage, dill and bacon. Cook until
- potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings (1-1/2
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 389 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 766 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 15 g protein.