"EVERYONE in my wife's family is a corn lover, so her mom came up with this wonderful recipe to satisfy their appetites. With the bacon, sausage and potatoes, it's hearty enough to be a one-pot meal, but it's also really good with the chicken."
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 6 ounces smoked sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute celery and onion in drippings until onion is lightly browned. Add potatoes and water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in corn, milk, sausage, dill and bacon. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Corn Chowder in Reminisce January/February 1995, p51
Reviews for Hearty Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review