- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unroll one pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; trim even with rim. Line unpricked pastry with parchment paper. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove parchment paper and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots; cook and stir until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and peas, cooking until vegetables are tender, 5-7 minutes. Whisk in next five ingredients. Increase heat to medium-high; gradually whisk in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 4-6 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in chickpeas. Remove from heat.
- Spoon vegetable filling over bottom crust. Unroll remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim; cut slits in top.
- Bake until top crust is golden, about 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Chickpea Potpie
"My family decided that they wanted a vegetarian meal for Easter. This was the perfect meal for the occasion. I made a few changes that I think really made it stand out! I only used 13/4 cup vegetable broth and then added 1/4 cream. I also added 1t thyme. In addition to the added ingredients I also made my own pie dough instead of using store bought."