Hearty Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
I've made this soup many times for my husband and four sons. Even though they're married and have homes of their own, my sons still like to come to our house to eat. This recipe is always a hit with them.
- 3 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cans (two 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons salt
- 1. In a stock pot, saute green peppers and onions in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 5 quarts.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 199 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 1,360 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC