- 3 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cans (two 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons salt
- In a stock pot, saute green peppers and onions in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 5 quarts.
Originally published as Hearty Chicken Vegetable Soup in Country Extra September 1999, p51
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2011
"Very nice and tasty recipe. I made some revisions by adding herbs. I also re-ordered the sequence for adding vegetables. But, its still a very nice basic recipe!"
Reviewed Feb. 7, 2010
"best chicken soup"