Hearty Chicken Strata Recipe
My great-grandparents made this traditional Amish recipe on Sundays when they had company, and it's still one of my family's favorite dishes.
- 10 cups bread cubes (1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 jars (12 ounces each) chicken gravy, warmed, optional
- 1. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on several ungreased large baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the chicken, potatoes, celery, carrots and parsley. In another large bowl, combine the milk, broth, eggs, butter, salt and pepper. Pour over bread mixture; toss to coat.
- 3. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes; stir. Bake 45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve with gravy if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 217 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 553 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Strata
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC