Hearty Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Add the broth, carrots, celery and savory. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over chicken mixture. Add noodles; mix well.
- 3. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 343 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 681 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.