Hearty Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Add the broth, carrots, celery and savory. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over chicken mixture. Add noodles; mix well.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Noodle Casserole
Sort By :
Good quick meal and the family loved it.
I've made this several times, hearty comfort food! My family loves it!
This recipe is also easily adapted for a gluten-free diet. Noodles made from brown rice can be used, and you can change the 3 tbsp of flour to 3 tbsp of corn starch.
This recipe is easy, relatively quick, and the flavors were good. But I found the proportions to be off. There was far too much liquid, even after I removed some from the vegetable-and-chicken mixture, before adding the noodles and sauce. After baking for the designated time, the dish was soupy; after baking seven extra minutes, at which point the top layer started to get crispy, it was still not a casserole. It tasted good, but was not what I expected after reading the recipe.
This is one of my go-to favorites. I've made this many times and love it every time. It's filling without being too heavy. Great on those cold days/nights!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Pasta >
- Baking Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Noodle Casserole >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >