Hearty Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups (32 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Add chicken; heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper and remaining salt.
- Drain noodles. Place four noodles in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with a third of the cheese mixture, chicken mixture and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and top is lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Lasagna(6)
Sort By :
I loved this recipe, as my traditional lasagne seems always to come out runny and not a solid slice type of dish. My husband, however, found it to be a little dry and wanted a bit more sauce and perhaps more cottage cheese mixture.
Prep time took a little longer than I had expected, but the lasagna was awesome! We were able to freeze half of it.
I made this with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving instead of the chicken. I was awesome! You never knew you were eating leftovers with a change up like this. Now my family will look forward to there being extra turkey but I will make it other times too with the chicken. Just make sure to use a deep 9x13 dish or it is too much filling and it bubbles over.
I like to use the base recipe. I would use the Montery-Jack Cheese as a cheese that will melt well into the base recipe. Use the grated Parmesan as well - the taste will excell. LOL :-)
oops - meant to say not enough mozzarella
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Pasta >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Lasagna >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Pasta >
- Chicken Pasta Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Gift Recipes >
- Lasagna Dinners >
- Lasagna Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >