I love reinventing classic recipes to fit our taste and healthy living lifestyle. The recipe is quick to prepare and can be served with oven fries or on its own. You can add Greek olives, omit the onion, or even use cubed pork tenderloin for a new taste. —Kayla Douthitt, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Featured In: 38 Greek-Style Dinners
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup salt-free lemon-pepper marinade
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 whole wheat pita pocket halves, warmed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place chicken, marinade and mint in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate up to 6 hours.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, mix sauce ingredients. In another bowl, combine cucumber, tomato and onion. Serve chicken in pita pockets with vegetable mixture, sauce and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Chicken Gyros in Light Recipes 2015, p60
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Gyros
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review