Hearty Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the chicken, enchilada sauce and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a meat is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Reserve 1-2/3 cups cooking juices. Pour the remaining cooking juices into a large bowl; add the beans and shredded chicken. Coat two freezer-safe 8-in. square baking dishes with cooking spray; add 1/2 cup reserved juices to each.
- 3. Place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in prepared dishes. Pour remaining reserved juices over top; sprinkle with cheese.
- 4. Cover and freeze one dish for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second dish at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is lightly browned. Serve with sour cream if desired.
- 5. To use frozen enchiladas: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (2 servings each).
2 enchiladas (prepared with reduced-fat cheese) equals 577 calories, 20 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 1,541 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 46 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.