This hearty poultry dish is loaded with flavor and color. The chicken is fall-off-the-bones tender in just 8 minutes, which makes it a top pick for busy families. —Mary Beth Jung, Hendersonville, North Carolina
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds) , cut up
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a pressure cooker, brown chicken in batches in oil over medium-high heat. Return all chicken to cooker; add the green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes and water.
- Close cover securely; place regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 8 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat as needed.) Remove from the heat; cool immediately according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken to a platter. Add tomato paste and mushrooms to pan juices; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Add hot pepper sauce and chicken; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Cacciatore in Country Extra March 2009, p51
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Cacciatore
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review