- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds) , cut up
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a pressure cooker, brown chicken in batches in oil over medium-high heat. Return all chicken to cooker; add the green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes and water.
- Close cover securely; place regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 8 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat as needed.) Remove from the heat; cool immediately according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken to a platter. Add tomato paste and mushrooms to pan juices; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Add hot pepper sauce and chicken; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Cacciatore
"Omg. This was so easy and tasty. I used an electric pressure cooker. When it said to use medium heat to add tomatoes paste to pan juices I put it into a sauce pan on high and heated iton high. Next time II will use boneless chicken"
"This recipe is definitely a "must try", as my mom use to make this for us years ago. Sadly, I never asked her for the recipe. Thanks for sharing."
"Going to try this, I think it looks good."
"I use my pressure cookers on a regular basis . I'll try this recipe because it sounds really good . I will have to double it thou because of large family ."