- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds) , cut up
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, paprika and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a pressure cooker, brown chicken in batches in oil over medium-high heat. Return all chicken to cooker; add the green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes and water.
- Close cover securely; place regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 8 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat as needed.) Remove from the heat; cool immediately according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken to a platter. Add tomato paste and mushrooms to pan juices; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Add hot pepper sauce and chicken; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Cacciatore
"This was really good. I served it over brown rice. I used my crock pot instead of the pressure cooker. I seared the chicken using PAM and omitted the flour. Then dumped everything in the slow cooker Chicken on the bottom). So tasty! Will make many more times."
"Omg. This was so easy and tasty. I used an electric pressure cooker. When it said to use medium heat to add tomatoes paste to pan juices I put it into a sauce pan on high and heated iton high. Next time II will use boneless chicken"
"This recipe is definitely a "must try", as my mom use to make this for us years ago. Sadly, I never asked her for the recipe. Thanks for sharing."
"Going to try this, I think it looks good."
"I use my pressure cookers on a regular basis . I'll try this recipe because it sounds really good . I will have to double it thou because of large family ."