This soup will soon become a favorite of your family. You will want to make it on every cold day.—Frankie Marie Gingrich, Palmyra, Pennsylvania
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) cut broccoli with cheese sauce, thawed and chopped
- Seasoned croutons, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the lemon juice, chicken and broccoli. Heat through. Garnish with croutons if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Chicken Broccoli Soup in Country Woman September/October 1991, p35
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Broccoli Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2016
"Very hearty and delicious soup! I personally like my soups with a bit more seasoning so I added a 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp more of salt. This will be a new family favourite!"