Hearty Chicken Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1. In a stock pot, cook chicken in water until tender. Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cool broth and skim off fat.
- 2. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes; return to pot along with remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for at least 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving equals 259 calories, 127 mg sodium, 89 mg cholesterol, 22 gm carbohydrate, 31 gm protein, 5 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Barley Soup
"Broth was bland until I added chicken bouillon. Over all good soup."
"This soup is absolutely delicious - great comfort food when it's cold or you're feeling under the weather. I love making big pots of soup for lunch during the workweek and have just added this to my favorites."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.