No question—this is my favorite soup. It's so filling that I serve it as a hearty main dish, and I have given the recipe to many of our friends and relatives. It tastes too good to keep to yourself!
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- In a stock pot, cook chicken in water until tender. Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cool broth and skim off fat.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes; return to pot along with remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for at least 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Barley Soup in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p82
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hearty Chicken Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 24, 2013