Hearty Cheeseburger Chowder Recipe
"This is a family favorite for cold blustery days," writes Rebecca McCabe from Ekalaka, Montana. "It's very filling and an easy meal when served with corn bread or biscuits."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 pound red potatoes, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add potatoes, water, celery, bouillon and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in remaining milk; heat through. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 261 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 696 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC