- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 pound red potatoes, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add potatoes, water, celery, bouillon and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in remaining milk; heat through. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Cheeseburger Chowder
"the cafeteria where I work had cheeseburger chowder for lunch and I liked it so much I decided to make it at home. I found this recipe and made it in my pressure cooker, added a little more cheese for a thicker consistency and it tasted like heaven. When I took it to work for my lunch, I had told one of my coworkers I had had it in the cafeteria and she said how much she liked it too. I asked her if she wanted to taste mine before I began to demolish it. She jumped at the chance and she too was like, oh my goodness, this is better than the cafeterias. She asked for the recipe and I was only to happy to share since we both knew that recipes from taste of home always are great. I will have to make this again whenever I have all my family here."
"I have a house full of 4 boys and a husband that love hearty meals after a busy, and sometimes crazy, day...especially a cold one! This has become my boys' favorite chowder! It is easy to make and I've even thrown it together for my friends when I host Bunco. The ladies loved it! Match this chowder with garlic butter biscuits and you will be amazed! I did eliminate some of the milk and added a little more hamburger to thicken it up. It was great!"
"Simply the best! Whenever I ask my family what they want me to make they always ask me to make this Cheeseburger Chowder. Before I tried this recipe, I had tried others, and none can even come close in flavor. Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe??"
"Very good. I made a couple of changes and it came out well. No. 1, I do not keep bullion granules in the house, I used 1 1/2 cups of beef broth (from a carton). I am allergic to celery and put in 1/4 cup of small slices of water chestnuts and that added a very nice crunch to it. I also need to be gluten free and used a GF rice blend flour. Everything worked find and tastes great! I'll be making it again. : )"
"My boys love this soup. Once in awhile I use pepper jack cheese in place of the cheddar."