- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 pound red potatoes, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add potatoes, water, celery, bouillon and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in remaining milk; heat through. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Hearty Cheeseburger Chowder
Sort By :
"Very good. I made a couple of changes and it came out well. No. 1, I do not keep bullion granules in the house, I used 1 1/2 cups of beef broth (from a carton). I am allergic to celery and put in 1/4 cup of small slices of water chestnuts and that added a very nice crunch to it. I also need to be gluten free and used a GF rice blend flour. Everything worked find and tastes great! I'll be making it again. : )"
"My boys love this soup. Once in awhile I use pepper jack cheese in place of the cheddar."
"I used to make this all the time but misplaced the recipe. Glad to find it again. It is great just as written and give it 5 stars. My spin is to up the celery to a cup, added a half to a whole chopped green pepper and add a half cup of chopped carrots. It takes a little more time chopping, but worth it to include veggies. You can use whole or 2% milk. Since I am a cheese lover, I of course used more cheese. Be sure to give this constant attention once all of the milk and flour (or corn starch) is added. Stir almost continuously or it will burn on the bottom of the pan. It is good right after it is cooked, but even better the next day."
"I HAVE MADE THIS OVER AND OVER AND MY FAMILY LOVES IT. GREAT ON A FALL DAY!"