- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small skillet, cook sausage and beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the marinara sauce, tomatoes and mushrooms. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through.
- Prepare tortellini according to package directions; stir into meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hearty Cheese Tortellini
"This was very good and filling! I, personally, would use less pasta of any kind. The flavors of the sauce should be enjoyed. This is a keeper! I've been losing my ability to taste food, so the spices really helped me enjoy this dish."
"So good and so easy! Made it yesterday for last nights dinner! Made it exactly as written, only change is I doubled it. Froze half the meat mixture just before adding the tortellini. I love these crockpot meals. Yes, this could easily be made on the stove top, but for me it was my day off and I always feel when I use the crockpot I have time off from cooking! Served it with a mixed green salad, garlic bread and bottle of wine. Perfect meal! Thank You Christine for sharing!"
"My husband does NOT usually like tortellini but loved this dish! Great meal, I will definitely keep this on hand!"
"Grandkids approve this recipe! We love this recipe. Easy to make. Thanks for sharing"
"I've made this several times and my son just LOVES it!!!"
"My husband loves tortellini, and this is now this favorite tortellini dish. It has easy, inexpensive ingredients, perfect budget meal!"
"Yummy!!! Followed exactly and loved it, hubby wants to know when we can have it again while he finished off a second helping."