Hearty Cheese Spread Recipe
Using the red wax covering from gouda cheese, Vernie Nicolaisen of Cherokee, Iowa fashions a decorative "poinsettia" bowl in which to serve this treat.
- 1 Gouda cheese round in red wax covering (7 ounces), room temperature
- 1 package (2 ounces) thinly sliced smoked beef, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Apple slices or crackers
- 1. Carefully slice through wax and cheese to within 1 in. of the bottom, forming eight pie-shaped wedges. Carefully fold wax back to expose cheese; remove cheese.
- 2. In a bowl, beat the cheese until creamy. Add the beef, sour cream, relish and horseradish; mix well. Spoon into wax shell. Chill.
- 3. Serve with apple slices or crackers. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 81 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC