Hearty Cheese 'n' Toast
I added caraway to my father's recipe to give this old-fashioned dish a robust taste. Whether served with just the sauce of with meat, this makes a filling meal.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole caraway seeds
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 to 6 slices white or whole wheat bread, toasted
- 4 to 6 slices cooked turkey, chicken, beef or ham, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Stir in flour
- to form a smooth paste. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until
- the mixture is smooth and thickened. Add the Worcestershire sauce,
- mustard, caraway and pepper. Stir until well blended. Add the
- cheese; cook and stir over low heat until melted.
- Cut toast diagonally and place on individual plates. If desired, top
- each with a slice of meat. Spoon cheese sauce over meat and toast.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.